Greg Atkinson is the executive director of ExPastors.com and discusses how his organization helps former as well as current pastors in dealing with issues they face.
Greg Atkinson is the Founder of Worship Impressions and Executive Director of ExPastors.com.
LifeWay Research surveyed 1,500 pastors of evangelical and historically black churches and found an estimated 13 percent of senior pastors in 2005 had left the pastorate 10 years later for reasons other than death or retirement. "Pastors are not leaving the ministry in droves," said vice president Scott McConnell.
Still, pastors say the role can be tough:
- 84 percent say they're on call 24 hours a day.
- 80 percent expect conflict in their church.
- 54 percent find the role of pastor frequently overwhelming.
- 53 percent are often concerned about their family's financial security.
- 48 percent often feel the demands of ministry are more than they can handle.
- 21 percent say their church has unrealistic expectations of them.
What is Expastors.com?
- What are the top five reasons (in your opinion) that pastors leave?
- Can a pastor recover from burn-out in a timely manner?
- How much do unmet expectations play in pastors leaving a church?
- What are some steps that a pastor can take to longevity?
- What role do church leaders have in helping their pastor on this topic?
All of these questions and more are answered on the podcast. Listen here on iTunes or hit the play button below!